What is the best investment for VA & military doctors?Mar 15, 2023
When it comes to financial stuff, the US government usually gets a bad rap. But the Federal Employees Retirement System Thrift Savings Plan (FERS TSP) is a major exception. Ben and Nate field a question from a US Air Force Reserves flight doctor about how to invest in the TSP. Tune in to learn why this 401k-like plan is so awesome and why one of the funds in the lineup is so unique it’s worth a second look. Listen to the end where we weave together the best parts of the TSP with an after-tax account to come up with a unique strategy to save our hard working federal physicians a whole bunch of taxes.
IN THIS EPISODE
- [1:18] What is the FERS Thrift Savings Plan?
- [2:02] What’s good about the TSP? Is it better than a 401k?
- [3:33] Nate breaks down the different aspects of a TSP.
- [6:21] What would Ben recommend for the Flight Doctor who emailed in regarding his TSP?
- [8:32] What is the L fund (Lifecycle Fund)?
- [9:33] How should physicians use the G fund if it’s right for them?
- [10:58] Ben walks through a realistic example and discusses how to make decisions.
- [13:25] Pro-tip for physicians who work in the military/VA.
GET MORE FROM PHYSICIAN FAMILY
- Catch all the great stuff we didn’t mention in the show! Subscribe to our newsletter.
- Stop missing out on the tax breaks you deserve. Get The Overtaxed Doctor’s Guide to Retirement.
- Get on track for college in less time than it takes to change an explosive diaper. Download The DIY Doctor’s College Plan Workbook.
You’ll find it all at https://physicianfamily.com/go.
- If you have a topic you’d like us to discuss, please email it to us at: [email protected] or call our answer line at 503-308-8733
Physician Family Financial Advisors Inc., a registered investment advisor, has reasonable belief that the information and content as a whole does not include any false or materially misleading statements or omissions of facts regarding services, investments, or client experience. Information presented is for educational purposes only and does not intend to make an offer or solicitation for the sale or purchase of any specific securities, investments, or investment strategies. Investments involve risk and, unless otherwise stated, are not guaranteed. Information expressed does not take into account the specific situation or objectives of individuals and is not intended as recommendations appropriate for all individuals. Listeners are encouraged to seek advice from a qualified tax, legal, or investment adviser to determine whether any information presented may be suitable for their specific situation. Past performance is not indicative of future performance.